Welcome Forums CNC Explorer Web App Feedback Summary for Reference

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    EdwoodCrafting
    Keymaster

Feedback Summary
    And an ongoing list of great feedback from emails and forums. I will add my comments and answers. Feel free to reply with any of your comments

EdwoodCrafting
    Keymaster

Allen – After toying with it for under a minute, I caught on to how it is meant to work and it seems pretty intuitive to me. The hover-over help boxes worked fine on my browser (Firefox 86.0.1 64-Bit). I’m not 100% sure, but the IPM slider at the top is mostly meant to let you see the impact that changing feedrate has on spindle/router power consumption (as well as volumetric material removal and surface speed). I really like this approach already, compared to the spreadsheets that I’ve tried using. I can see myself using this app a lot in the future. Well done!

Edwood – Exactly right the top slider is to mainly give the ability to fine-tune the feed rate to adjust the power consumption and MRR. If you are using a router like the Makita or Dewalt the speed steps are rather a course and it is sometimes not possible to pick a speed that is in the sweet spot but yet not overpowering the spindle. But in those cases, the CNC has a much finer adjustment to find an optimum solution. And very glad you are noticing the tool is intuitive. Thank you for your great feedback.

EdwoodCrafting
    Keymaster

Benny – I am now using, G-Wizard by CNC cookbook full version. I emphatically hate it.

Your new version of CNC Explorer has my interest up. I have a Mac Book Pro which ran you old excel file through the Mac “Numbers app. It was very confusing to a “Newbie”. I have since had to buy a Windows 10 PC to run V-Carve Pro, and refuse to purchase Office for Windows This is another reason for your new app.

Only suggestion is a ref to abbreviations, ie. DOC, WCC, MRR, SFM. This would help with the confusion of meanings between different Cad and Cam apps

Edwood – I will look into making the labels more descriptive. Also, remember if you hover your mouse over the items a tool-tip with pop up with more details.

EdwoodCrafting
    Keymaster

Brett – like the layout. Seems like it will be easier than the spreadsheet. I would suggest lot fewer colors. Its really busy. Colors should be reserved for the info to plug into your cnc software. When running locally, will users be able to add tools to the tool database?

Edwood – +1 on the look and ease of use. I get your comment on the colors. My idea was to group the sections by color but perhaps I went a little overboard? I am trying out some combinations now to see if that can be cleaned up. BTW whenever you click on the link you will get the latest version on the server although you might need to do a refresh on your browser to see it. If the App has been installed there is a “Flutter Feature” that requires you to close the instance you have and the next time you load it will update from the server. I do hope Flutter can fix that “Feature”

And yes you will be able to add tools and materials into the databases. It actually won’t matter if you run from the link or install locally. The data will always be stored locally which is a very cool feature about Flutter Web. Initially, this will be the approach I will be taking. The downside of this approach would be the database would be tied to a specific device. For those only running on the same device, it’s not an issue but for someone who would like to occasionally run it say on their mobile, I am not sure yet how to handle it. The other option would be to make a cloud database that could be accessed everywhere. That approach would be I think more difficult to implement. Maybe some will have an opinion.

EdwoodCrafting
    Keymaster

Paul The cloud based database would actually be easy, just allow the user to specify the file location and they can just add a Onedrive location for example. Thats how I preserve stuff between machines for the likes of Google Earth. pretty easy to implement at your end I would think

Edwood – Part of my thinking is there may be situations in a shop Internet is not available and the App needs to be run off-line and that is where a local database will work. But other times sharing the database or accessing from another computer a cloud base would be better. I think you probably are correct and maybe having an option to save or restore from the cloud would be the answer. I am already using Google Docs and Flutter has widgets to read and write to google sheets so that might be a good plan.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.